[juneau-lug] Re: Upgrade and stuff

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:52:26 -0900

On Sunday 18 February 2007 16:23, Chuck Hakari wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> It has been a while since I have posted anything here. Actually, I think
> everyone has been busy on other things since there hasn't been much
> activity on this list.
>
> Anyway, I just upgraded my desktop system. I had looked at buying one of
> the Dell n-series systems as they come without a preinstalled os, but

One thing you can look at is debranded systems.  Places like geeks.com will
occasionally have excess (new or refurbished - read the fine print) units
from HP, etc. when they change models.

The debranded systems don't come with Windows and can be cheaper than the
refurb units from the manufacturer.

That's what I did with my current desktop - it was a rev behind, but I dodged
the Microsoft tax.

> Now that I have bored you with this: James, I cleaned up my desk and
> found a cd that I burned for you that has the USGS quads of the Juneau
> area. Do you still need them?

Yeah, I'd be interested in looking at that.  I don't know that I'll be able to
do anything with it right away -- I'm being deployed again in March.

James