[juneau-lug] Topic proposal for the Sep 15th meeting

  • From: Justin Burket <zorton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:29:55 -0800

Hi all,

I just finished reading about openMostix and have found myself in awe
:)  I propose we setup a cluster during the meeting this monday.  I can
provide at least one computer running linux possibly two.  I'm going to
try and setup a small cluster on my own with two laptops as a test.  If
this goes well I think it would be fun to try clustering with various
threaded applications (encoding a video for instance).  If anyone else
is interested let me know.  To participate in the cluster (if I'm
understanding everything correctly) all you have to do is install some
user-level software and patch the kernel tree and recompile.  I suspect
most machines will be intel and variants but from what i've read it
should work cross-platform with my powerpc as well.  After that we'll
need some hardware to connect everyone together so if someone
*cough*myron*cough* can provide a hub or switch we could try this thing
out.  I propose we re-encode a trailer off a dvd to mpeg4 (xvid, aac).
Heck if it even works we can try out multicasting with video-lan
client.  Of course even if we have a modest amount of cpu power put
into the cluster the time required to set it all up and encode a
trailer could be prohibitive so we could possibly do it next meeting.

Of course things can go wrong, I could for instance not have enough
time to do the test and I think setting this up without internet
connectivity would be difficult at best.  The downtown library does
have internet access via wireless.
However it seems that it is not encouraged.  The times I have connected
with my personal machines I have gone back the next day to discover
that the router no longer talks to me.  I suspect the IT department
logs unknown access by MAC address and then deny' s access to the DHCP
server.  I'll download all the support files needed and keep an archive
of popular package formats for intel and powerpc in case someone
decides to try it out.  If not I think it'll be just me and my sisters
laptop :)