[juneau-lug] Tonight's meeting

  • From: Nels Tomlinson <nelstomlinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:33:40 -0900

Since James didn't show up, the meeting degenerated into a mini-install
fest.  I just happened to have a couple of spare laptop hard drives
(thanks, Alfie!), and there were two laptops in attendance, so we
installed Knoppix on one and Xandros on the other.

We learned that Xandros is pretty neat: it's Debian-based, and they seem
to have auto-mounting set up tolerably well.  Their GUI front-end to apt
claimed to be able to use the Debian repositories, but wouldn't actually
add them to the sources.list file.  We didn't take the time to add it by
hand and see what the GUI would do.

We also learned that the Compaq 2500 laptop has a reset button on the
bottom.  Somehow, in switching hard drives, we managed to get it
thoroughly locked up, and had to figure that out.  Since it was clearly
labeled ``RESET'', it probably took us less than 10 minutes.

We talked quite a bit about this and that while we waited for the
machines to install and update.  I recommended a game called jumpnbump
for the folks with children.  It has levels in which bunnies jump around
and squish one another.  It really takes several kids (up to 4) to play.
  My 9 and 5 year-olds can play it together for quite a while.  I'm sure
that there were several other interesting subjects, but that's all that
pops into my head at the moment.

So, a good time was had by all, and we broke up early, by about 8:15:
everyone had children to deal with, or their rides had children to deal
with ...

James, maybe we can talk about setting up a home network the fancy way
next time.

Good night, all.
Nels