[juneau-lug] Toby's Surplus News?

  • From: Toby <tobysam@xxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:45:10 -0900

VAX-
I did, however, get to pop open the VAX and take a good long look at it.
It's a single processor alpha box with 320mb of ram, eight EISA slots, three
pci slots, redundant power supplies, and 32 hardrives. Only about half of
the hardrives actually work though. Bummer. It's currently running something
called "VMS". I tend to think that it would run linux, but with all of that
proprietary hardware who knows. Still marked @ $600

I think the other vax box is a storage switch, since it doesn't have any
video connectors on it. Just a whole  bunch of scsi ports, and four ethernet
ports. It has several onboard hardrives, a hotswap fan tray, and one power
supply. Doesn't seem to be all that usefull. Still marked @ $900

Monitors -
All monitors are on sale. Anything under 17inch is $10. Anything over is
$40. Period. There is an exception, namely a 21inch viewsonic with the green
burnt out. Otherwise fully functional. Needless to say, I grabbed it.

Printers-
Plenty of salvageable LaserJet III series printers. You'll need a forklift
and a lot of space though. Probably be good to run an extra power circuit
into your house too 8)

I didn't notice much else, though most of my time was spent with the VAX.
There are tons of lower end pentium boxen in great shape. 133mhz and bellow
are under $20. So if anyone wants to make a pizza box vectra cluster...

That's it. Happy Holidays all!

Toby

PS I have about 100 CD joule cases is anyone wants them...