[juneau-lug] Thank you

  • From: Larry Hurlock <larrynorte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:55:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
Thanks to the Juneau LUG I am using Kubuntu 9.04 as my sole operating system.
A State-abandoned Dell 360 with dual hard drives has been brought back to life
after installing a SATA hard drive and little else.  And, all the uses I demand
from a computer system are fully operational.

This does not include watching DVD's at a terminal, nor burning them -- which I
have never done nor have any inclination to do.  It does include sitting here
listening to Loreena McKennet sing "Dante's Prayer" while working on other
tasks.

Should anyone wonder, I have had good luck running 9.04 and downoading -- via
KDE version of synaptic -- Firefox, xsane, Mplayer, SMplayer, and the other
programs that make it worth all the time and effort.  9.10 did present some
problems with it's preloaded version of Firefox:  the Flashplayer worked
intermittantly, slowly, or not at all.  So I went back to 9.04 and downloads.

Thanks go first to Jeremy, whose advice to use 9.04 and contact LUG immediately
might have shortened the project.  But then, perhaps my questions would have
been too broad and the answers unintelligable to me at that point.

Special thanks to James, Kevin, and Jamie.  I now tell people that more
impressive thing than Linux OS is the Linux Community -- at all levels -- which
is astounding!

If I might make a small contribution: on this distribution "whereis" is more
informative than "which."

Happy Solstice everyone.

Larry Hurlock