[juneau-lug] Telnet in Firefox

  • From: "James Zuelow" <James_Zuelow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:05:58 -0900

Firefox on Linux does not have a built in telnet:// handler, which is
bothersome to me.  You can add your own external command to handle
unregistered protocols using the about:config page, but Firefox on Linux
won't accept any arguments to commands there.  This is also bothersome
to me.

Anyway - if you use Firefox on Linux often, and have a need to follow
telnet:// links often, here's one solution.

In about:config, right click and add a new string value.  Name the
string:

network.protocol-handler.app.telnet

And set the value of the string to:

/usr/local/bin/moz-telnet.sh

Now write /usr/local/bin/moz-telnet.sh:

#!/bin/bash

address=`echo $1 | cut -d / -f 3`

konsole -e telnet ${address}

make /usr/local/bin/moz-telnet.sh executeable for everyone and you're in
business.

Note 1) I'm using KDE, so I put konsole into the script.  You can use
xterm, gnome-terminal, a gui telnet client, whatever in there.

Note 2) I'm fighting Outlook's spell check so beware capitalizations
where they should not be and "k" changed to "c" - I think it's good now,
but no guarantees Outlook won't "fix" it when I hit send.