[juneau-lug] Subjects for Mon Dec 20 meeting

  • From: Larry Hurlock <larrynorte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau Linux_Users <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 00:39:48 -0800 (PST)

The possibility of a demo at the upcoming meeting was discussed, but nothing
further has been spoken.
It might be fun to trade information about the "fingerprinting" of one's
computer when connecting to a website.  An article appeared recently in the
Wall
Street Journal about how the many of the "tells" [my term] that you broadcast
the site add up to make one identifiable.

In fact, according to the article, companies are competing to gather enough
"tells" to reasonably track and individuals regardless of their attempts to
remain unrecognizable.  Would a GNU/Linux user give up fewer/more clues?

Also, Stallman is railing against the upcoming Chrome OS which is based on
GNU/Linux.  I'd love to hear comments about that, too.

If anyone is interested, I have 60 feet of brand new coax cable from GCI which
I'll gladly give away.  If I find anything else reasonably usable, I'll bring
that too.

Larry