[juneau-lug] Re: Small X

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:46:08 -0800 (AKDT)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Hans Snyder wrote:

> I am looking for a small distro (400megs or less)...that I can run Gnome, or
> KDE (even an older vers) that also has ssh. I have a machine set up here in
> linux (Redhat 7),  and I would like to get a small downloadable distro
> (preferably arround 100-200megs) that I can put on a client with <40megs ram
> and <400mb hd.

You know, this perfectly describes Slackware, Debian (base install of
Potato is under 200MB) and OpenBSD. Debian and OpenBSD install nicely over
the net. For your purposes, OpenBSD might be the best choice, as the base
distribution is a bit larger, but includes KDE.  Everything will be more
or less the same as a Linux install, with the exception of partition names
(/dev/sd0a instead of /dev/sda1) and ethernet card names (OpenBSD uses the
module name, instead of the generic "eth" - so an NE2000 compatible card
is ne0 or ne1 instead of eth0 or eth0).

My personal experience involves installing Debian with X (but not KDE or
Gnome) on a 250MB hard drive, and OpenBSD with X (and KDE) on a 340MB hard
drive.  OpenBSD includes OpenSSH by default, Debian does not but it's a
simple apt-get away.