[juneau-lug] Re: Small X

  • From: Jacob Gemmell <evilbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:57:02 +0000 (UTC)

Here is the Linux Distrubution List Minature Section:

  http://ldl.sourceforge.net/index.php3?action=1&show=2

Are you stuck on Gnome or KDE?  You might be better off with one of the
other Window Managers out ther like XFCE, ICEWM or FluxBox.

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Hans Snyder wrote:

> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:05:19 -0800
> From: Hans Snyder <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [juneau-lug] Small X
>

> I am looking for a small distro (400megs or less)...that I can run Gnome, or
> KDE (even an older vers) that also has ssh. I have a machine set up here in
> linux (Redhat 7),  and I would like to get a small downloadable distro
> (preferably arround 100-200megs) that I can put on a client with <40megs ram
> and <400mb hd.
>
> My plan is to attempt to ssh into the Redhat box and use X windows to do a
> la terminal Services, and run office apps remotely. Problem is I would like
> to do it remotely (ie through the internet...).
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful. I have looked at a few terminal services
> type set ups, most either require X windows to find a server locally (or
> using Boot P). I would like to take a 486 w/ a NIC and a real IP (through
> DHCP) and then contact the server in another location (say dialing up in
> ANC, getting on the net (w/ 486), and then ssh'ing to the Linux box in JNU
> at my house to download and read my mail and write and receive office
> documents in openoffice). I am an idiot/newbe, but the smallest I could get
> my Redhat distro was 520megs (plus more needed as overhead to
> install). -Hans

evilbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Remember, if you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day; but if
you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.