[juneau-lug] Small X

  • From: "Hans Snyder" <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:05:19 -0800

I am looking for a small distro (400megs or less)...that I can run Gnome, or
KDE (even an older vers) that also has ssh. I have a machine set up here in
linux (Redhat 7),  and I would like to get a small downloadable distro
(preferably arround 100-200megs) that I can put on a client with <40megs ram
and <400mb hd.

My plan is to attempt to ssh into the Redhat box and use X windows to do a
la terminal Services, and run office apps remotely. Problem is I would like
to do it remotely (ie through the internet...).

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have looked at a few terminal services
type set ups, most either require X windows to find a server locally (or
using Boot P). I would like to take a 486 w/ a NIC and a real IP (through
DHCP) and then contact the server in another location (say dialing up in
ANC, getting on the net (w/ 486), and then ssh'ing to the Linux box in JNU
at my house to download and read my mail and write and receive office
documents in openoffice). I am an idiot/newbe, but the smallest I could get
my Redhat distro was 520megs (plus more needed as overhead to
install). -Hans