[juneau-lug] Sick Power Mac CD-RW/DVD Drive Bows to the Penguin!! :-D

  • From: Chad Tudor <ctudor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:02:12 -0900

I got my burned ISO discs in the mail today, and to my surprise when I
held down the option key at reboot my system revealed the Tux to boot
from!!!!!

Little history: I got a refurbished Power Mac G4 for 1k just a couple
weeks ago and it has a hardware problem. The Combo CD-RW/DVD drive will
mount an audio CD, but plays it with faint music and loud static. It
will mount a blank CD and burn audio, but with the same loud static. It
will mount a DVD and launch the DVD Player app in OS-X, but it will not
play the movie. It will not mount a CD-ROM. How could Apple overlook
something as evident as this?  I and Apple thought the problem was the
drive, and they sent me a new one, yet I still had the same problem
with the new drive. Tomorrow  I am taking it to the Mac tech at Juneau
Electronics to get it diagnosed.

I am impressed it booted from the Yellow Dog install CD. It would not
boot from the Panther (OS-X version 10.3.0) upgrade CD though. Penguin
Power!! ;-)

Any thoughts?

Chad