[juneau-lug] Re: September Meeting

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:10:24 -0800

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:34:37 -0800
Jamie <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So James, are you still hosting a meeting?  Will you demo your PVR?

Yup.  I can demo setting up a recording, watching the recording & playing with
it in various ways, and then we can watch some live TV and I can demo the DMA
lockup for VIA chipsets.  :)

I can watch an entire recording w/o problems, and can record w/o problems.  But
the VIA chipset on my Athlon motherboard locks up with the amount of DMA
traffic generated by pulling the signal in from the cable tuner and then
pushing it out the video and sound cards.  From what I've read, this problem is
specific to VIA chipsets, so if you have another chipset you shouldn't have
this problem.

I'm in the book if you want directions.  Otherwise 4485 Columbia Blvd, down
towards Mint way 6-9PM.