[juneau-lug] Re: Samba 3.0

  • From: Jamie <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:46:19 -0800

Yes!  We are definitely interested in what is new & better in SAMBA 3.
At work we switched all our file servers to SAMBA last summer and its
been mostly great but left a few problems.

1) incremental backups no longer work via Veritas Backup Exec.  They
have a linux agent, but it doesn't "hear" the archive bit.

2) Our primary authentication via SAMBA no longer expires users
passwords or sends reminders.  SMB password changes will cause linux to
sync up, but not vice versa.  New users have to go into linux first.

3) Working with permissions is not as versatile as with Netware, no ACL's.

James - thanks for the tip about Knoppix STD.  Now I need a big chunk of
time to learn some of those great tools.

-Jamie