[juneau-lug] Re: SAMBA

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:13:51 -0800

----- Original Message ----- >
> Linux connects to WinME, but only in Read Only mode.  What did I
> forget?  Do I HAVE to have a username and password for access in Write
> mode?

I've never played with a WinME box.  It might be using the same SMB code
that Win2k is - and Win2k caused a lot of trouble for Samba.  Which version
of Samba are you using?

> If I try to connect from Linux to Windows ME and I make a mistake on the
> password the connect is not complete and there is nothing to display,
> but next time I try to connect I get an error message because it seems
> to think that this is a connection.  If I try umount -a it cannot
> unmount the connection.  I seem to be stuck between a mount and a
> umount.  Is there a way for force a umount without rebooting the
> computer?
I don't have a linux box to check documentation on, and my memory is a
little rusty.  IIRC `umount -a` will attempt to unmount things you have in
your fstab (your CD and floppy).  Will it still give an error if you specify
the directory you mounted the Samba share on?  (Please do a `man umount` and
check my memory regarding the -a switch.)

Cheers,

James Z.