[juneau-lug] SAMBA

  • From: "Zachary Family" <dzachary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:30:58 -0800

Need some help with SAMBA.

My network includes:

1- Red Hat 7.1 Linux machine
4 - Windows ME machines
1 (or more) DOS machines with MS LanMan

the 'hosts' file on all machines match.

I can PING from any machine to any other machine!

From Windows and DOS the 'net view' command shows all computers online.

From Windows, the My Networking shows all computers.

BUT:

When I attempt to USE the linux machine from DOS or Windows I get an error
message saying that the requested computer is either not online or not
available.

I followed the 'file share' instructions in the SAMBA books. Looks pretty
simple instructions for the smb.conf file. I can change the netbios name =
line of smb.conf and the name of the linux machine changes on the DOS and
Windows machines.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Dan