[juneau-lug] Re: Running homebrew video DVD's

  • From: <james.zuelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:15:09 +1500

----- Original Message -----
From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2006 8:17 pm
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: Running homebrew video DVD's

> Jamie,
>
> Right now I am just making up a slideshow without sound. The first
> slideshow was created using KMediaFactory. It uses DVDAuthor,
> DVD-Slideshow, mjpegtools, etc, etc. It added the menus and got
> everything into mpeg2. I chose to have it setup a K3b videoDVD
> project,
> so it launches K3b and I'm ready to burn.

Huh.  I'm not familiar with KMediaFactory.  I've been using Kino to turn DV
video into MPEG2, then dvdauthor to turn the MPEG2 to a DVD file system, then
growisofs to burn it.  I've just tonight started playing with Kino/DVDStyler,
which helps with the menu items.

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) K3b isn't creating the DVD with the "--dvd-video" option to
mkisofs/growisofs.  That will result in a DVD that will look just like a video
DVD if you mount it and inspect the directory tree, but won't play on a
standalone player because it is really a DVD-ROM disc, not a DVD-Video disc.
Kino would also fail with this disc, with an MRL not found error.

2) K3b and/or KMediaFactory is being really dumb and writing the MPEG2 file
straight to the DVD.  Could be your XP install knows what to do with that file,
but your W2k install doesn't.  But Kino would...

So it sort of sounds like No.1 is a likely avenue for investigation, although
my install of K3b has --dvd-video shown as a mkisofs option in the setup menu
(settings -> configure K3b -> programs).

Very strange.