[juneau-lug] Re: Room at UAS

  • From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:57:15 -0800

Good points James.  As a stodgy ol' sysadmin, I was initially interested in
things like Bind, sendmail, spam filtering, etc.  We pretend it's
interesting of course, but truth be told we'd rather be standing in the rain
catching cohos, providing for our families.  However, as time has rolled on,
I'm broadening my horizons.  At home I have SuSE running on an old 300 mhz
boat anchor, and have decided to get a decent machine.  Not top end lest I
offend my Scot ancestry, but something that loads before my coffee gets
cold, and that I can actually *play* with.

But what sort of playing?  Well, simple things like burning CDs (no
bootlegging of course!), maybe some sound and/or video editing just for
grins, getting 3D enabled so the kids can play flightgear, that sort of
thing.  Nothing I'd be doing at work.  Plus, it would be good to get a nice
machine that the family could use as our primary internet connection, doing
homework on, etc.  A bit more boring, but I figure now's the time to get the
kids comfortable w/Linux.  They can still play Windows games on the other
computer, but being able to do some cool stuff on the Linux computer would
be valuable on keeping them going down the RIGHT PATH.  I figure it would be
fun to hook the camcorder into the computer, and be able to edit videos on
it.  Haven't a clue how.  Or in Linux Journal in the Sept. issue there's an
article on recording your old LPs and burning a CD.  I've got a stack of
those that I wouldn't mind getting on a CD.  Sadly, my turntable is broken,
but sooner or later I'd like to get a new one.  That sort of stuff would be
great in the meetings and something that students would be into, if they
aren't doing it already on their own.

So the heck w/business type stuff (at least most of the time), let's have
some fun...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500