[juneau-lug] Red Hat 7.1 Upgrade

  • From: "Zachary Family" <dzachary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:03:56 -0800

I ran the upgrade/install from Red Hat 6.1 to 7.1 this afternoon.

Tried the graphic mode first, but it did not fit on the screen.
Switched to text mode -- took a few tries. Had to turn the power off and
back on before it would work.

Got through to the finish.

Now when I boot,  when Linux puts up the graphic logon screen I get what
looks like a combination of Gnome and KDE.  They mess each other up and you
really can't read either one on the screen.

I can switch to one of the text terminals and log in from there and if I go
'blind' I can log into the graphic mode and it appears that Gnome is the
mode -- but there are strange invisible boxes on the screen where Gnome will
not write and it's very confusing to view or try to work with.

Do you think I messed something up in the upgrade?

I should note, that there was not enough space on the hard drive to upgrade
everything that I had previously installed (not that I needed all that
stuff), so I had to 'deselect' some of the packages.  After a few go-rounds
with who depends upon what, the installer finally was satisfied and did the
install.

Dan