[juneau-lug] Re: Raspberry Pi

  • From: Jamie <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:03:00 -0900

Myron - I've seen the Beaglebone demo'd at a Maker Faire and they looked
pretty cool.  Are you just experimenting with yours, or do they have an
assigned purpose or a project in the works?

Looks like Intel wants into the party also with their $70 Galileo:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/530771/intel_open-source_galileo_computer_sale_us69_90/?utm_source=www.computerworld.com.au&utm_medium=related&utm_content=article_bottom

The Raspberry Pi I got to play with was the $35 model B.  That's the
bare board price, but for $5 more you get a 8G SD card with 6 different
OS trials.  So my experience was better than the reviewer you cite.  I
needed to plug in USB keyboard and mouse, video (lacking an HDMI
monitor, I used the analog to TV -yuck), and a micro USB power source
(phone, tablet charger).  It booted right up and asked which OS I wanted
to try (Raspian) and then re-booted to it.  Hold down the shift key
during boot to try a different OS. Plugged into the network (wired or
wifi), I could SSH or VNC into it and get decent video, not the analog
TV.  The wifi USB adapter only needed the wifi password and immediatly
connected.  Switching USB devices took a little planning because there
are only 2 ports and when I pulled the keyboard, it re-booted.  If you
need several USB devices, a small powered hub can easily overcome this,
but once online it ran fine as headless with only the power and wifi
plugged in.  So I beg to differ with the reviewer who said it was
difficult to setup.

-Jamie