[juneau-lug] Re: Quiet list survey

  • From: "Carlin Kartchner" <c58modern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:19:47 -0700

Here are my thoughts as a traveler just passing trough Juneau this summer (I
was that quiet guy at the last mtg)

>1) The last few meetings have been "social" meetings, with little or
>nothing in the way of demos, howtos, etc.  The meeting attendance has also
>been way down, even for summertime.  Would you like to see more in the way
>of demos & howtos at the meetings?
The "social" atmosphere is nice, but having atleast one presentation per mtg
is always very nice, especially when you can convince people to regularly
volunteer their time. Keep in mind that the presentation doesn't have to be
very complicated, just pre-planned.

>2) The vast majority of people subscribed to this list are lurking.
>There's not a lot in the way of message traffic.  I know from personal
>experience that I will normally ask technical questions on the AKLUG list
>because I'm not likely to get a response on this list.  However I *do* try
>to answer any question on the Juneau-LUG list if I have a reasonable
>amount of knowledge about the subject.  Where do you ask your questions?
Google! Usually google solves all of my problems, but if google can't give
me a quick answer I usually make a post to one of the web forums that I'm a
member of. I find the format of a web forum much easier to read. I do have
issues with people trying to raise their 'post count', but web forums reach
a broader range of people, so they can usually provide a quick answer.

2) How often do you answer technical questions, and where?
I answer questions when I have time, and I feel I have a decent grasp of the
subject matter.

3) What do you see the primary purpose of this list to be?
Technical discussion

>4) The web site has not changed much over time, with the exception of
>Tony's http://sysadmin.juneau-lug.org pages.  From the access logs, I see
>that about half of the page views are from ACS/GCI IP ranges in Alaska.
>The other half are from Google hits on the script pages and the IBM 6015
>page.  (I can't see Tony's logs.)  Is there content on the web page you
>would like to see?

Not that I can think of, I was one of those google people myself once.

>5)  What do you think the primary purpose of the web site should be?

Let people know who you are, and what you are doing. Its always a nice idea
to post the presentations from the meets on the web site.

Well, thats about it for me. I have had many of  the same problems myself,
starting a computer club during my at my high school last year. Our web site
is www.whatsinyourbox.org (I suppose everyone here has atleast one copy of
linux in their box). So far we don't have a lot of content (I blame it all
on the web master, but that's getting into club politics), but the forum is
where we all hang out, and I we have been able to help a few people with
their problems there. Keep in mind that we're not even a year old yet, and
to compound our problems our web host failed to mention we hadn't paid the
bills during the month of March. Ugh, I want to make more excuses but I'll
spare you. Then, while your doing a backgound search on me I'm also active
in the local 2600 group www.2600tucson.com So far we've been able to have
atleast one solid presentation at our monthly meet, and we manage social
meets every week. One guy manages to bring an article for us all to read
every month, which is always fun. Hint: my handle is "clear issue"

btw if you haven't heard, I really don't find mailing lists easy to read. I
like forums because they allow me to view everybody's answer on one page.
Might I suggest phpbb? http://www.phpbb.com/ -You can't go wrong with free.