[juneau-lug] Re: Printer 2

  • From: Larry Hurlock <larrynorte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 01:48:39 -0800 (PST)

James,

I'll give you a short answer first, and lead back to it later.

* My printer is blacks-only.  The non-blacks used to translate better than at
present -- both script and  other -- and all printing was faster, both to start
and per page.

I suspect that I may have hit a wall.  Mostly, the wall doesn't matter.  *

Mark wrote:

"The laserjet 1150 does not appear to support postcript printing, so my
earlier suggestion during the meeting about installing it with an HP
provided .PPD file would not be possible."

James wrote:

"If you don't see the laserjet 4 driver you might not have any ppd  packages
installed.  In Debian/Ubuntu, in order to get the correct CUPS  driver for the
1150 you would add the openprinting-ppds package."

It is already there, see below:

larry@larry-desktop:~$ locate openprinting-ppds
/usr/share/doc/openprinting-ppds
/usr/share/doc/openprinting-ppds/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/openprinting-ppds/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/openprinting-ppds/copyright
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openprinting-ppds.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openprinting-ppds.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openprinting-ppds.postinst

And James wrote:

"You can also install the hplip package if you want all the bells &  whistles
like being able to read the printer's status display from your  desktop, etc."

I have all that functionality.  I don't actually know if the ppds package is
being used.

*****

This from the HP online manual:

Firmware description
The firmware in the printer includes the following features:
        * Host-based and Printer Command Language (PCL) 5e printing
        * Enhanced PCL 6 with status readback (HP LaserJet 1300 only)
        * 80 TrueType fonts, plus Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic
        * Pixel placement, mosaic characters
        * Memory Enhancement technology (MEt) with hardware compression and
decompression
The printer firmware also has Resolution Enhancement technology (REt) and
EconoMode functionality.

The machine was shipped with Win in mind.  And, l assume all the great fast
printing I used  to get on my old 400 Mhz beater was TrueType font, which the
above says is "firmware in the  printer."

My printer is blacks-only.  The non-blacks used to translate better than at
present, both script and  other, and printing was faster --  both to start and
per page.

I suspect that I may have hit a wall.  Mostly, the wall doesn't matter.

Larry