[juneau-lug] Re: Printer 2

  • From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:45:54 -0900

----Original Message----
From: juneau-lug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:juneau-lug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Neyhart
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:19 PM To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: Printer 2

>> Larry Hurlock wrote:
>> Fellas,
>>
>> localhost:631 shows:

>> Location:larry-desktop
>> Driver:HP LaserJet 1150 hpijs, 3.10.2 (color, 2-sided printing)
>>
>> Connection:hp:/par/hp_LaserJet_1150?device=/dev/parport0
>> Defaults:job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
>> sides=one-sided
>> I double-checked, and the page I was trying to print is a very fine
>> script, and yes some is color.  If I recall, I could ramp up the HP
>> while on Win98 to darken most everything I wanted, but unless
>> something jumps out at you I am going to put the issue on the back
>> burner for now.
>>
>> Larry
>>
>> PS:  I thought my machine is localhost, so what does localhost:631
>> signify?
>>

>  Your machine is localhost.  The :631 specifies the port number that
>  your CUPS server is listening on.
>
>  The laserjet 1150 does not appear to support postcript printing, so
>  my earlier suggestion during the meeting about installing it with an
>  HP provided .PPD file would not be possible.
>
>  Sorry I can't be any more help.

Larry, what operating system are you running?

Most HP printers have good to excellent Linux support, including the 1150.  It
looks like you might have to settle for 600dpi on the 1150 instead of 1200dpi,
but the printer should certainly work for you.

If you have CUPS installed, you probably already have the ppds.  If you don't
see the 1150 specifically, try the laserjet 4 driver for basic printing.

On my system, I see these options:

HP Laserjet 1150 - Foomatic/ljet4
HP Laserjet 1150 - Foomatic/lj4dith
HP Laserjet 1150 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6

And:

HP Laserjet 4 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6
HP Laserjet 4 - Foomatic/lj4dith
HP Laserjet 4 - Foomatic/ljet4

So you see the Laserjet 4 driver is already what my system would want to use.

If you don't see the laserjet 4 driver you might not have any ppd packages
installed.  In Debian/Ubuntu, in order to get the correct CUPS driver for the
1150 you would add the openprinting-ppds package.

(On older versions this might be known as the foomatic-filters-ppds package)

If you're not using Debian/Ubuntu, then I'm sure your distribution also has an
openprinting ppd package.

You can also install the hplip package if you want all the bells & whistles
like being able to read the printer's status display from your desktop, etc.

The Juneau Linux Users Group -- http://www.juneau-lug.org