[juneau-lug] Re: Plain Passwords for win95-98 and NT

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:48:27 -0900

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:08:39 -0900
chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Not being familiar with using encryped passwords, I suggested that
> Alfie try the plain text fix just so he could test out his network
> browsing to his old laptop. Some words on setting up Samba to use
> windows encryped password would be useful.
>
> Chuck

In the [global] section of smb.conf:

encrypt passwords = yes

This requires that smbpasswd exists.  A common location is
/etc/samba/smbpasswd.

You would add your Windows users as so:

smbpasswd -add user1 foo

where user1 is the user name, and foo is their password.

This is IMHO simpler than editing registries on all of the Windows
machines, and forcing passwords into clear text.  Win98 and later (and
Win95 with Microsoft service packs) all ship with encrypted passwords
by default, so you would have to edit the registry of just about every
Windows machine added to your network.