[juneau-lug] Re: Piracy and Surplus

  • From: Toby <tobysam@xxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:23:17 -0900

Ok...Here's the deal:
One big DEC VAX tower. It's about the size of a rack cabinet in terms of
footprint, and about three feet high. It has 16 2gb hot swap scsi drives, a
10mb nic, dual power supplies, and two external scsi connectors. It's priced
at $600. The SCSI card looks from the back like a 2940, but I didn't have
enough time to crack it open and see. My guess is that that box has at least
two processors, maybe four.

Several rack mount SCSI raid arrays with hardrives in them. I think they
come with the VAX, since they were on top of it, but with no price marked.

Some kind of DEC device that's the same size as the VAX, but has about 20
enormous blades with nine pin serial connectors and 50 pin centronics
connectors on some of them. Priced @ $900. I think Jeff is going slightly
nuts.

A bunch of other newer DEC workstations scattered around. I didn't get a
close look at them. The Celebris with the dual 266 processors is gone.

I took a brief brake from drooling in and around the VAX to look around the
rest of the area. There a bunch newer HP laser printers marked "S". I think
that means Salvage, though I'm not positive. There are also a bunch of 680xx
macs, and as usual, tons of nice monitors.

I was only in there four ten minutes, so there might be other new stuff that
I missed. If someone wants to buy me a really nice Christmas present, you
know where to go 8)

Happy Holidays all

Toby