[juneau-lug] Piracy and Surplus

  • From: Toby <tobysam@xxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:24:34 -0900

First off, I found some work (Legislative Affairs), so I don't think that
there will be any surplus news tomorrow. There wasn't any last week, because
I was cramming for Cisco final.

Also, here's an interesting read on software piracy:
Slashdot Duicussion
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24778&cid=0&pid=0&startat=&threshold=3&m
ode=thread&commentsort=0&op=Change

CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2001/12/11/technology/software_piracy/

Slashdot also has a link to New York times article, but you have to register
to read it.

Some choice quotes:
________
"Warez kiddies hoard software like other kids hoard baseball cards, or
pokemon, or whatever the new craze is. It's about who can hoard more.. it's
not even about theft."
_______
______
"This is not a sport," Commerce undersecretary Phil Bond said. "This is a
serious crime. These people should do some hard time."

Oh my god. They have the NERVE to do crap like this right now? Aren't these
people supposed to be helping trace down terrorists, instead of arresting
teenagers in their bedrooms because they can't afford $500 worth of photo
editing software and movies? The BSA must have bribed a LOT of people.
______
"If you're going to get pirated, you want them to priate your stuff, not
your competitiors' stuff. In developing countries, it is important to have a
high share of the piracy software."
-Steve Ballmer
_______
"Members of Warez includes corporate executives, computer-network
administrators and students at major universities... "

Hey, I'm a student at a major university. Can I join "Warez?" How do I sign
up? Is there a membership fee? Why didn't someone tell me they'd organized
it into an actual group?
______

And it goes on. And on.

Toby