[juneau-lug] OpenOffice

  • From: "Hans Snyder" <hans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:09:34 -0800

Just loaded a copy of Open Office, last week. I have used the newer versions of
Star Office and like Open Office much better. I find it has all of the features
that Office (M$)has and even some more. Also, unlike Star Office, it ditches
the environment (which I hated anyways..always took up gobs of resources).

One thing I haven't figured out is how to turn off the automatic indentations
of numbering when you skip a number for example...

4.2.1
 4.2.4
4.3.1
4.3.2

besides that, works like a charm...only other bother is the saving feature,
sometimes it will add a feature to your document and then give you the message
that while you can save in Office2000/XP you will loose those special
features...did it both ways, and all was good.

If anyone needs a copy of it (yes, I know it is only 50megs, but it took me 7
downloads to get it, as there were problems with their server knocking me
off)..I will happily mail to you from Jolly ol' Anchorage...would like to find
a way to -pay- someone to ship me a copy of Red hat 7.3 and Suse 8.x.

Actually a thought just occurred to me...I did download it for windows. My bad.
But it is all true, I have really enjoyed it. (still will burn you a windows ed
if you want). Hope to be going 100% open source with in a month as my contract
up here winds down. -Hans

BTW, we have been running a University class up here on Beowulf clustering...it
has run very well, and anyone who is interested in the subject in general...I
may have some helpful information...