[juneau-lug] Re: October meeting date

  • From: Jacob Gemmell <evilbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 17:45:58 +0000

I like Tuesday the 22nd.  Three things that I would like to see or do
during the meetings is see more of the Linux desktop stuff, do some new
installs on site, and have the meeting some where with bandwidth
available.

As far as the current content of the meetings, the server stuff is
great, and has gotten me looking a stuff that I would like to try on my
own network.  But I would really like to see some stuff geared towards
running Linux as a desktop operating system.  The music and scripting
stuff looks good.  Maybe some demos of what can be done with a Linux
desktop computer (UT2003 anyone?)

How feasible would it be to invite some people to bring thier computers
in to have linux installed?  Getting distrobution discs there never
seems to b a problem (BTW if anyone wants Redhat 8, let me know and I
will bring some copies to the next meeting).  And unless the machine
that we are installing on is a real dog, 3 hours is plenty of time to
install it on.  Maybe we can set minimum specs and invite some people to
bring in a computer?  Is anyone on the list looking at linux, but hasn't
gotten around to dipping thier toes in the water?  Maybe bring in some
live demo CD's?

As far as the bandwith goes, I know there was discussion earlier about
using the old city hall building.  And I understand that we got
unoffical permission to do so?  Have we found out who we need to ask
"Hi, I'm from the Juneau Linux Users Group.  Can we use one of your
confrence rooms on October 22nd for our meeting along with a network
connection for internet acess?" (The second part should probably be
specified, lest we get accused of hacking and get banned or worse.)

All Hail James, BDFL!!

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 08:57:15AM -0700, James Zuelow wrote:

> Suggestions for the October meeting date?  I am personally not available
> the 8th, 18th, 19th, 20th.  However no reason the meeting can't continue
> without me.  The way that this normally goes is that one person suggests
> a date, nobody else says anything, so I set the date before the
> conference room gets booked up.  Then everyone lets me know that they
> can't make it that day.  I ask for topics, I get some half hearted
> want to be the Juneau-LUG benevolent dictator for life.
>
> So let's try it a different way.  If you know in advance that you'll be
> free, suggest a date.  If you hear a date and know that things are going
> to conflict, and you'd like to attend the meeting, pipe up.  That way we
> can try to accommodate the most people - or if we have to, schedule two
> meetings.
>
> Meeting topic suggestions?  We've got music & scripting.  Is that OK?
> Anything else you want to see?  We have had several new members show up
> to one or two meetings lately that are at a basic level of familiarity
> with the system.  We have some older members that are well acquainted
> with various aspects of the system.  Let us know what you want to see at
> the meetings, and perhaps we can get the two together.  If you don't say
> anything, my random choices of meeting topics may never coincide with
> anything that interests you. (Especially since my meeting topics are
> things that I have a basic knowledge of.)
>
> Don't be afraid to use the mailing list.  It is the easiest way to get
> in touch with other Linux users down here, if you're having trouble or
> if you're just interested in a topic and want to see if someone locally
> shares your interest or knows how to help out with a problem you've been
> having lately.
>
> Right now we have 30 subscribers, down from a peak of 34-35.  Given that
> some people are subscribed with more than one e-mail address, I think
> that we've got 25 people that follow the mailing list.  Some of those
> people are out of town (Sitka, Petersburg), but we should have enough
> members to keep the meetings interesting and informative.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

evilbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't.