[juneau-lug] Re: October Meeting

  • From: Nels Tomlinson <nelstomlinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 21:01:14 -0800

I'd enjoy learning more about dealing with sound on Linux.  Howto rip
CD's, how to turn arbitrary sound files into Cd's, and so on.  I really
don't know a whole lot about the various sound file formats, so some
basics would help me, at least. If anyone knows about sound editing,
that would be interesting too.

James, I'm in complete agreement with you on the matter of respecting
the wishes of the copyright holders.  Fortunately, there is a LOT of
music out there that is freely available by the copyright-holder's wish.

Mp3.com has lots of free music, put there by musicians who want to get
their art out to listeners.  Peter Welker is one artist I've found there
who's music I've really enjoyed.  Look here:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/22/peter_welker.html

http://furthurnet.com/ has a p2p client which lets you get taped live
concerts by artists who allow taping.  This one is pretty neat.  I just
got a concert by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones this way.  Unfortunately,
  I haven't been able to figure out how to get their program running on
Linux!  It's written in Java, and that's always been a mess for me on Linux.

In short, even if you don't own the CD, you can legitimately get music.

Nels