[juneau-lug] Re: October Meeting

  • From: "James Zuelow" <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:24:57 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toby Harbanuk" <tobysam@xxxxxx>
To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 9:40 PM
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: October Meeting

> How about an mp3 or lan party. Something fun. 8)
>
> Toby

.mp3 party?  We could do multi-media.  RedHat dropped the .mp3 encoders,
and it looks like Debian was thinking about doing the same.  However
that may have blown over.

I use Ogg Vorbis exclusively at home, so I can go over how to encode ogg
audio, how to set up gnump3d to serve your audio collection over a
network.  For example, I can listen to my CD collection at home on any
workstation.  My kids love it.

WARNING:  Danger Will Robinson!  Danger!  If I do any sort of
ripping/playback presentation you'll get a lecture about why I think
that you really should pay attention to the legalities of ripping music.
I don't agree with RIAA about CDs being non-rippable, as I want to be
able to listen to my CDs (that I paid good money for) on my home
network.  However I also don't download music I don't own.  In fact,
you'll get the lecture even if I don't give a presentation but someone
else does, so be prepared.  :)