[juneau-lug] Re: O'Reilly

  • From: "james" <jfzuelow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:27:18 -0900

----- Original Message -----
From: "JBarber" <barber@xxxxxxx>

> Hey All,
>      O'Reilly has sent us 3 books for our growing library, real books
too,
> not just handouts. They are: Java and XML, Java and XLST, Enterprise
> JavaBeans.  They also sent us an XL T-Shirt.  Some goodies for the next
> meeting. BTW, when shall that be?

I was wondering about the O'Reilly program...

> James, Do you still want those RH 7.2 CD's?

I just bought 7.2 from Amazon.  I have been buying the latest releases as
they came out, but I think this will be my last until 8.2 comes out.
Their new RedHat Network scheme is too expensive for me with not even one
free account.  Since windowsupdate.microsoft.com is free while RHN is
$19.95/month, an automatically updated Windows is cheaper after 7 months.
And given that there is no 'Deluxe' version, but the basic version is
priced similar to the old 'Deluxe', the initial outlay is more.  I know
they have to get their money from somewhere though, so I figure I'll at
least buy 7.2.  RedHat is a pretty important company for Linux in the US.

Might be time to switch over to Debian though.  Easier on the wallet, and
`apt-get dist-upgrade` is still free.