[juneau-lug] NovaStor InstantRecovery

  • From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:44:36 -0900

I just cloned Linux and OS/2 partitions from a 30 gb drive to a 40 gb drive in
on operation using NovaStor InstantRecovery. The neat thing about this
program is that it is a Linux program!

I could have used Partition Image, but that would have involved many steps, so
being kind of lazy lately, I started looking around for a disk cloning
program.

I checked out Drive Image by Power Quest and almost went for it until I
noticed that the license is only good for one machine...the first one that it
is installed on! No uninstalling and reinstalling on another machine allowed!

Then I found NovaStor InstantRecovery. I bought it online and downloaded the
self-extracting *.exe file which includes a 36 mb iso of the program,
documentation and their own cd burning program and scripts if you don't want
to use your own cd burning software. I burned the iso and booted from the cdr
on a test machine. Was I ever surprised when it started booting Linux! I made
an image of /boot and then restored it along with the partition table and
rebooted to make sure all was fine. I then hooked the new 40 gb drive up to
my main system and started the disk cloning program. It took a little more
that 2 hrs. to clone the 30 gb drive to the 40. I installed the 40 and it
went right into the LILO sceen and then booted Linux without problem. At
first, it wouldn't boot OS/2. I went back into Linux and ran /sbin/lilo, and
on the reboot, I got into OS/2. Pretty painless operation! My next test will
be to make a recovery image of the entire drive to see how small (or large)
it will be.

I related this because I think that it is pretty slick that NovaStor is using
Linux. I also hope that this helps someone who needs to clone a disk or
backup partions.

Chuck Hakari