[juneau-lug] Re: Next meeting

  • From: "JBarber" <barber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:31:00 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: juneau-lug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:juneau-lug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of James Zuelow
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 7:20 AM
To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [juneau-lug] Re: Next meeting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toby Harbanuk" <tobysam@xxxxxx>
To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 6:54 AM

>After my 7.3 experiences with YAST2, I won't touch SuSE with a 10' pole.
>I'm happy with Debian, and just downloaded Slack 8 for my next test
>distribution.

What problems did you have with SuSe? I've thought about Debian, but the
install seems complicated, and I haven't had the time to really look at it
yet. How is the install for Debian? How's Slack? With Red Hat and Mandrake
I've become an RPM junkie.

>Er, I have Win4Lin for you (Jim).  It is the copy that Hans got you.
>I've been bringing it to meetings in the hope that you'll be free for
>one.

I'll have to grab that.  Did you give it a whirl?

>Just to catch everyone up - after the library closed, we had another
>little discussion outside in the hall (bad idea by the way, they start
>locking all of the doors in the mall).  The idea of two meetings was
>brought up - one general Linux meeting for newbies/non-technical/basic
>configuration subjects, and one more technical meeting for
>programming/advanced configuration stuff.

You almost got to sleep on the cold tile in Super Bear :-)
I like the idea of two meetings, if the bodies show up. Not that I have much
room to talk about that.  Two meetings is a good idea for all involved. I
feel pretty comfortable with Linux as a workstation and minimal development,
but I get a little lost talking about ipchains and all that network stuff.
I think we could probably all use some newbie refresher in one area or
another.

>I think it's a good idea as long as we can keep the group from
>fragmenting.  It doesn't do us any good to have people who know a lot
>about *nix if the newbies never see them around.  (Of course, we need to
>work a little harder on ATTRACTING newbies in the first place.)  A
>variation on the above theme that came up was one monthly main meeting,
>with smaller "project" meetings throughout the month.  For example, we'd
>have a May meeting for general subjects, and everyone interested in
>Apache/PHP/SQL would organize a later meeting to specifically discuss
>that project.

Again, a good meeting idea.
As for attracting members, do you think Linux might be losing some of the
original attraction that it had during the Dot Com boom. Interest in all
computer related things has seemed to be waning. Maybe there aren't as many
fence sitters anymore. Also, I think the hype and promise of an alternate
desktop OS has kind of sunk because it's taking forever for the development
of professional level apps for Linux, other than the system administrator
stuff off course.  Star Office is lame and ugly, Quanta is pretty but about
as functional as Homesite (great for those of us who know HTML), Gimp is
robust but not very intuitive.  Oh, and what about the lack of decent
multimedia apps like Quicktime. RealPlayer blows.

The problem with Linux apps is that they were designed by and for computer
geeks.  This is good if you never want to attract newbies.

As for me, even for the lack of some key "desktop" apps, I like
Linux,.......a lot!

>Cheers,

Jim