[juneau-lug] New lug member

  • From: "James Zuelow" <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 18:53:47 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant Lennon" <grant_lennon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jlug@xxxxxxx>

Hey Grant!  Go to the web page (www.juneau-lug.org) and subscribe to the

> who are familiar with and speak very highly of the Juneau LUG.

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

> I have a mandrake install at home but am still relatively a newbie and
could
> benefit greatly from the enthusiasm and experience of the veteran LUG
> members in questions to me that seem perplexing but are old to the
> experienced.
>
> Among the questions I have include setting up Apache, recompiling my
kernel
> with the new release of REDHAT 7.3 (I just heard it came out recently )and

Setting up Apache isn't hard.  If you like, give me a shout at this e-mail
and we can go over it.  I don't know much beyond serving static pages
(www.zuelow.net & www.zuelow.com), but it's a start.  I think we'll have
some more Apache gurus start showing up that can get into things like
dynamic database driven pages, etc.

> general networking (i.e. getting my Linux box to talk to NT, XP and 98)  I

Samba.  We haven't had a Samba presentation yet.  Anyone game?  (I use it at
home, but I haven't played with the config files in so long I don't think I
remember how to set it up.)

> have also experienced issues getting my install to recognize my modem
which
> may simply be a matter or my netgear driver install not being recognized
or
> NETGEARS NIC not running smoothly.  Whether or not the netgear NIC is
> compatible with a Mandrake/RH7.0 install is uncertain to me.

Can you give us some more detail about the NIC - specifically the model
number?
And which modem - is it a Winmodem?
You can answer both questions by giving us the output of `lspci -v` - it
should look like this:

00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev
 41)
        Subsystem: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC]: Unknown device 2401
        I/O ports at f880 [size=128]
        Memory at ffbeec00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=256K]

> I understand  couple of Lug's ago you had a meeting on setting up APACHE
> Server, I would like to have been there.  I would like to attend the next
> LUG if that is OK.

You didn't miss much.  I can reschedule that one if there's enough interest,
and hopefully it will be more successful the next time.  I've been remiss
and haven't scheduled the next meeting yet.