[juneau-lug] Re: Networking question.

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:44:23 -0900

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:19:22 -0900
"bdk" <bdk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  From a security stand point, is it safe to put two devices that have
> different ip ranges 192.168.1.x & 192.168.0.x & subnets on the same hub and
> not have them talk to each other? Or do I need a to physically separate
> them onto two separate hubs?
>
> -sean

Umm, depends on what you want to do in regards to security.  It all boils down
to host security - what can your users do to modify the network configs?

If you just want the two devices to not talk to each other, then using
different subnets will work.

However if you're at all worried about someone changing the netmask on either
device, then it's not a good idea.  Changing the netmask from 255.255.255.0 to
255.255.254.0 and suddenly the device with the new netmask will see the other
device.  (The other device might have trouble figuring out what to do with
replies if they actually tried to communicate, however - presumably it's
netmask is still set to 255.255.255.0.)

If this is your home network & you're just worried about evil h4x0rs then go
ahead & keep the same wire.  If they can modify netmasks on your devices you
have bigger problems to worry about.  If you're at work in a multiple user
scenario & sensitive information on one or the other subnet, it might make
sense to use a different physical network if you can afford another hub/switch.

HTH