[juneau-lug] Minutes from the meeting

  • From: JBarber <barber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JLUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 May 2002 17:05:49 -0800

18May02 Minutes

The meeting started promptly at 1500 (or,uh 3:00PM), give or take about
15 minutes.

After a brief round of introductions, the first presentation was lead by
Chuck.  His topic was the K Desktop Environment 3.0, aka KDE 3.0.

        * A brief overview of the User Interface, to include the
          multiple ways to customize the look and feel of the desktop.
        * Themes, Window Manager, and various setup options
        * Peripheral applications were discussed, such as Kamera and
          Gphoto. A quick demonstration of the TurboPrint drivers and
          print setup. also lpd,and CUPS.
        * From there we entered into the business end of KDE and
          discussed the capabilities of KOffice, and the file/web
          browser Konquerer.He also touched upon the KDE file system,
          pointing out the various methods to customize the folders.
        * After he was through with KDE 3.0 he demonstrated Blender, a
          3d graphics application similar to Maya and 3d StudioMax, the
          major difference is of course Blender being free. He
          demonstrated a couple of projects he had been working on, a 3
          dimensional relief of a mountain range (I don't remember
          where,..Yakutat?) which was pretty impressive. He also showed
          us an incomplete set of rollercoaster tracks, pretty cool.

Next up was Jeremy with a demonstration of xcellerated X (don't remember
which one)

        * He briefly went over the installation procedures, he let Chuck
          fondle his mouse to show how smooth it was.
        * There was a pretty smooth demo of the rendering speed which
          Jeremy did with a fractal image.
        * A simple bench mark test was conducted with xgears.

The next topic of discussion was Mac OS/X

        * This was originally planned to be given by a tired, overworked
          Toby, but alas he feigned fatigue and opted to stay home (or
          work).
        * The discussion was actually pretty lively because we happened
          to have two guest arrive carrying a PowerBook with OS/X
          installed on it. Thanks to Chuck's flier.
        * I think the entire group got involved in toying with the new
          OS to see how much BSD was left in her. I think the guests
          (for the life of me I can't remember their names) were a
          little surprised how much it has in common with Linux.

All in all, I think everyone had a good time.

The group is definitely growing, and with that comes a need for more
organiztion and direction. Let's start thinking about where we are
going, and how we want the group to accomodate all of ours and the
community's needs.

Baby steps....-Jim