[juneau-lug] Meeting topic: Juneau-lug.org

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 17:05:14 -0800 (AKDT)

One of the topics I'd like to discuss at the meeting is the web site.
Currently the whole thing is hosted on a GCI subscriber page.  I'm going
to move it to my own server in the near future (the next couple of days).

Rather, I'm going to move the intro page, library page, etc. (the pages
that are up now, minus the newsletter and calendar, which I think are
dead).  These will be pages under http://juneau-lug.org
and http://www.juneau-lug.org.

What I propose is that we set up a distributed web site. I can point host
A records to any IP address. So if one of you has 1) a topic you care
about and 2) a static IP, you can host part of the web page.

For example, if we set up a "LAMP" (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/Python/PHP)
project, someone can host lamp.juneau-lug.org on their own equipment. That
person (or project) would set up all of the pages under
lamp.juneau-lug.org and have more or less complete control (please, no
warez or pr0n..).

In this way we all share bandwidth costs, and more people get to
participate in projects they are interested in. Each sub-domain can be one
page, or a whole site complete with PHP-Nuke discussion forum. Up to you.

We'll need to hash out some rules about how things are set up - I suggest
a more-or-less uniform introduction page with links to all of the other
pages. We'll also need to make sure that the IP addresses are ones we have
permission to use, and that suitable bandwidth and uptime can be
maintained. We might need to keep the names kind of generic to avoid
copyright issues.

However there are a few things I can think of off the top of my head:

games.juneau-lug.org - game reviews & demos (or a server if you've got the
bandwidth - I certainly don't).

hardware.juneau-lug.org - hardware reviews & demos

newbie.juneau-lug.org - a page with links to newbie sites and whatever
local content we can come up with.

Whatever else you can think of. As advance warning I will retain
benevolent dictator status over the domain name, if for no other reason
than my name and address shows up when you do a whois.  So don't get too
risque, don't start wearing a virtual eye-patch and posting the latest
ripped MP3s, and don't slander anyone.  (And don't hate me for being timid
& boring.)

I don't have the equipment to set up juneau-lug.org e-mail right now (I
need another switch, and maybe re-wire some of the electrical lines in my
house.  My "Server room" is getting a little crowded).