[juneau-lug] Meeting Notes

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:56:53 -0800

OK, meeting notes.  Please think about some of these things before the
meeting, so that we can get ourselves organized a little:

Demos:

Chuck, can you bring a projector, or should I bring one?  If you want to
show off KDE 3.0, maybe we need something better than 800x600.

Web hosting:

Anyone with a cable modem and static IP interested in hosting part of
the web site?  It is easy and you can work from home!  (You can also do
this with DSL, but PLEASE check with ACS first.  As I read their terms
of service they do NOT allow you to run servers on a non-business
connection.  Sean, can you clarify for us?)

Special Projects:

The general idea is that we can organize smaller groups of like-minded
individuals who are interested in the same subject.  They can meet
separately to work and/or goof around and then let us know what they
came up with.  Ideally, each special project would have a web page (i.e.
games.juneau-lug.org).  We have the non-profit project to think about,
which is really a long term meta-project.  No rush there.  Special
project ideas are Linux gaming, SQL/databases, Samba, Apache, etc.  If
you have something that you're interested in, bring it up.  Chances are
someone else is too, and you can get together to hash things out.

Lug Core:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with an interest in organizing &
running the LUG.  I don't particularly mind, but I don't want anyone to
feel as if all the decisions have already been made.  A while back I
proposed a "core" arrangement, where people that have the time to make
most of the meetings and are willing to make a presentation here and
there are in a decision making group for the LUG.  "Core" would be about
5 people, and major decisions involving the LUG (anything involving
money, incorporation as a non-profit, etc. etc.) would have to be
approved by core.  I don't see any requirement other than a commitment
to the LUG for right now.  Note that we have some members making
financial commitments to the LUG as it is - joining Core is a way for
other people to help out. I'd like to get this sorted out before too
long, as more people are starting to come to the meetings.  (And it has
been an entire year now.)  Also, a Core group would let some of us with
time constraints miss meetings, while there is still someone there to
organize.  If this is a bad idea, we can coast along with our benevolent
dictator status until the group gets too big and/or active for me to
handle.

Note:  "Special projects" is a good way to decentralize things as well,
as each project will need a person or team to coordinate things.  So we
could go that way as well.

Housekeeping:

General design of the web page, mailing list administration (did you
notice I got rid of the quote limits?), recruitment & advertising.  If
you have suggestions/opinions, please bring them up.

Meetings:

Should we have a formal meeting where we talk about stuff like this and
watch demos, and then a fun meeting where people bring their boxes & we
have a big LAN party?  I think some members would like a fun meeting
with bandwidth every so often.  Or should we keep the meetings the way
they are, with demos and just a little talk, and have "Core" meet at
other times to talk about admin stuff?  Or is this just waaay too much
organization and I should be quiet now?  Note:  if you bring a box to
the Library meetings, we can install a distribution and/or troubleshoot
a problem you're having.  The only restriction is that we don't have any
bandwidth at the library, so net installs are out.

Anyway - think about it if you're coming to the meeting.  If you can't
be there, pipe up on the mailing list.