[juneau-lug] Re: Meeting?

  • From: "JBarber" <barber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:39:31 -0900

I like the plan. I like the ideas for presentations.  One thing though, we
need to discuss the need for a central holding point for hardware and the
lending library.

James, I agree with you on the RedHat 7.2 issue. It was a step backwards.  I
still have a copy of 7.1, as well as 7.2. I just downloaded Caldera 3.1, it
looks the same only newer kernel and updated KDE (the download version does
not come with GNOME.

If anyone is interested I successfully loaded RH 7.2 on an IBM Thinkpad
i1300. Almost painless.  I didn't realize all the problems common to laptops
until after I had already started.  -Jim

From: "james" <jfzuelow@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Due to work conflicts I don't know that I'll be attending UAS next
> semester, so I don't want to get into setting up a UAS club.  After this
> semester they may not let me anyway...

Hopefully this isn't duplicated - I sent a note this morning that seems to
have disappeared into the ether.

I didn't mean to imply that there should not be a UAS club, but rather that
I probably won't be able to set one up.  The officers of a UAS club must be
current UAS students, and I think they need to be carrying 6 credits at a
minimum.  We need to find some full time UAS students who are interested in
forming such a club.  If there is an intro to Linux class next semester,
then those students will probably end up forming one anyway, so we can wait.

In the mean time, if any of you know people at work who use Linux/BSD on a
regular basis, see if they're interested in helping out.  Right now we have
a few hobbyists who can help a complete novice get up and running - but we
don't have anyone who can give hints on the tough questions.  If we're ever
to become a community resource, we need those kinds of people.

Proposed - please add your input.

Meeting date & time:  Friday, 30 November 6:30  p.m. - 9:00 p.m.  I'll check
the libraries to see where we can meet for those hours.  IIRC the Mac User's
group does the last Friday of the month at Mendenhall Library, so we might
need to find another spot or another day.

Agenda:    This looks like a lot, but it is mostly just information and
certainly won't take up 2 1/2 hours.  Any suggestions/improvements/comments
welcome:

    'Core' - replace Hans, make sure everyone is comfortable being in Core,
come up with a formal agreement about what it means to be in Core [3
presentations per year and/or active maintenance of such things as the web
page? Both presentations *and* active maintenance?]  We seem to be spending
a lot of time waiting for someone else to get things done.  Only we're so
small that there is nobody else.  :-)  So Core needs to get off their butts.
    'Core' - decide who's doing what with the web page, and come up with an
update schedule for news, etc.  Perhaps we should all take a page to edit?
    'Core' - advertising/publicity.  Intimately intertwined with the web
page, as it is our public face.
    'Core' - recruitment.  See above.

    'General' - Lending library.  Jim, please bring the O'Reilly books we
have, and I'll bring the New Riders books.
    'General' - Equipment.  We have 2 computers (my donation) and a 24 port
hub (Sean Crites' donation).  These can be set up for installfests, however
the drives are minimal right now.  Specs are:
    Gateway P90: 32MB RAM, 540MB IDE HDD (until replaced), 24x CD, 10Mb/s
Ethernet.  This one needs  a larger drive if we're going to use it for ftp
installs of things like RedHat.  It will happily do ftp installs of Debian
2.2 with the current drive though.
    Gateway P100: 32MB RAM, 2GB IDE HDD (until replaced), 4x CD, old
Colorado Jumbo 1.4GB floppy tape (no tapes), 10Mb/s Ethernet.  The drive on
this one is a bit larger, but still cramped for multiple distributions.  I
have Apache installed with a recent LDP HOWTO tarball (all of the HOWTOs and
Mini-HOWTOs from LDP), as well as the latest Jargon file.  The Jargon file
is a fun read.
    What I would like is input from the club about how these should be used.
Should users be able to sign them out like the library books (useful for
presentations - see below)? Upgrade donations gladly accepted, especially
IDE hard drives.  I believe the BIOS will only see 8.4GB for both of these
elderly machines, but really we don't need more than that anyway.  I don't
intend to duplicate linuxiso.com.  :)  A State Surplus monitor would be nice
as well - maybe even two.  Some old 72 pin 16MB SIMMs would be nice to get
both boxes up to 64MB.  Keep in mind that we don't have an official use for
these things yet, so there's no pressure on upgrading them.
    'General' - Software.  RedHat 7.2 is available for those of you who
don't want to download it.  IMHO it's *OK*, although RedHat did take out the
powertools CD - so if you're a Postfix user like myself, you have a little
more work to get things up and running.  I guess Sendmail isn't that bad if
you install Webmin.  I'll bring a couple of copies of RH7.2 in case we have
any walk-ins like last time.
    'General' - Presentation schedule.  Let people know what you want to see
as far as presentations go, and we'll work on finding someone to do the
presentation.  I'd like a formal schedule set up for 2002, with a
presentation every month.  Maybe not possible with our current membership,
but we can try.  Right now we just need the presentation *schedule* set up,
not necessarily who's going to do it.  If you are familiar with doing
something that other people are not doing, consider sharing your knowledge.
Presentations do not have to be by an individual - you can team up.
Presentations don't need to be a half hour of lecture - you can do a short
introduction, maybe do a demonstration, and then have question & answer.
Presentations do not have to be about arcane topics.  "How to install Debian
2.2 on an i386 machine" is perfectly acceptable.  Running Slack?  Feel like
you're the only one?  Well show us your stuff (and bring some CD's).
Remember we have equipment available for demos.  A presentation to start off
every meeting is an excellent way to get new members interested, and gives
us something to advertise as well.

---
Outgoing mail is scanned with AVG 6 www.grisoft.com