[juneau-lug] Meeting

  • From: "Charles R. Hakari" <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau LUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:03:34 -0900

Well, I didn't have to do my presentation, and Myron got off the hook,
too. I still think that the five of us that did show up had a good time.
I scored Xandros discs from Myron. Thanks! Tried installing on my old
P233, but it stalled at 9%. Will try again later on the P233 and my
PPro200. Not ready to give up Fedora on my main system!

Was thinking about subjects for future meetings. I think that they
should lean more towards presenting open source apps to draw people to
the meeting. Then they will see the demos on Linux and be exposed to
both. While Java isn't open source, there are plenty of open source Java
apps. I use JAlbum and Thingamablog frequently. Today at work, I
downloaded and used LandSerf, a Java app for viewing terrain models. I
also have Jext installed at work. Jext is a nice text editor with syntax
highlighting, projects, etc. Java apps would be good for this type of
meeting since you can run them on most any platform. Of course, there
are a lot of other apps that run on multiple platforms, so we could have
a Java meeting and a meeting with other open source apps that run on
multiple platforms. Might get a few more people to show up and maybe get
a few converts to open source.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Chuck Hakari