[juneau-lug] Making a Slackware 9.0 boot disk

  • From: "Charles R. Hakari" <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:30:47 -0800

I am trying to get Slackware 9.0 intalled on my old Toshiba laptop.
Since I can't boot from the CDROM, I have to make a boot disk. I
followed the following instructions, but I can't get the laptop to boot
from the floppy.

./makedisk name kernel
           |    |
           |    +- This is the name (and maybe path to) the kernel
           |       you plan to use, such as bare.i/bzImage.

           +- This is the name to give the disk, like bare.i.

This should automatically create the disk image in /tmp.  Next, put a floppy
disk in your drive.  If you need to format, use this command:

fdformat /dev/fd0u1440

Once the drive is formatted, write the image to the floppy.  For example, if
the name of the disk image is bare.i, use this command:

cat bare.i > /dev/fd0

The laptop compains about an invalid system disk. I have used rawrite to
make boot disks for Redhat and Mandrake without problem. Any of you guys
done this before?

Chuck Hakari