[juneau-lug] Mail server finally stabilized

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 16:54:17 -0900 (AKST)

I finally have my mail server stabilized again.  I could not get the
updated Amavis-Postfix to work, even after re-downloading it.  (I didn't
think that would work - YaST2 should be looking at checksums for packages
it downloads, but decided to give it a try anyway.)

I retrograded to the Amavis-Postfix on the SuSE 7.3 CD set, and now I have
my virus scanner working again.  However I am very annoyed with the
actions taken on my configuation files.  Each time I made a change, my
main.cf file would lose any reference to zuelow.net.  Other changes, such
as the reference to ordb.org were left alone.  However after making a
change to Amavis or Postfix, mail coming to a zuelow.net address would get
rejected with a 'no relay' message.  So I'm guessing that SuSE's scripts
don't make a wholesale replacement of the main.cf script, but instead
change selected values such as mydestination (to some predetermined safe
values).

I would rather they just leave config files alone, or completely replace
them so that any changes are obvious.  Better yet, prompt me to find out
what I want to do!  Oh well.  Aside from KDE being slow and Pine not
working with ispell, I'm otherwise happy with SuSE.  Every distribution
has its bugs.  I'm just going to start staying away from YaST2 on
production boxes, as the partial editing of config files is something I
don't need to deal with.

Cheers,

James