[juneau-lug] Re: Mail list to Usenet

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:03:46 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacob Gemmell" <evilbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Juneau Linux Users Group" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 12:41 PM
Subject: [juneau-lug] Mail list to Usenet

> Found a neat site which funnels Mailing list posting onto a newserver.
>
> http://gmane.org/
> news.gmane.org
>
> Its probably not too useful for a relativly low traffic lists like
what we
> got.  But it is great for high traffic lists like some of those
associated
> with linux distrobution support.  And it beats those clunky web based
> archive browsers hands down.

I still think it would be great to have our own news server set up.  The
bandwidth requirement wouldn't be that great (we are low traffic) but we
could set up separate lists for different topics - admin & meeting
schedules, help, developer, etc.  Members could subscribe to whichever
topics they were interested in or just pop in to see what was going on.

However, finding someone to host it....