[juneau-lug] Re: Mail Exchangers

  • From: East Wind <eastwind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mike noel <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:41:04 -0800

Hello mike,

Friday, April 7, 2006, 10:42:50 AM, you wrote:

mn> I'm considering switching from static to ddns. What service are you using?

dyndns.org though there are others.
I'm grandfathered for eternity but you'll have to pay
$25.00 a year I think. Still cheap.

I run a thing called ddclient that reads out my
outside address and reports it to the dyndns DNS
servers.

There are several other things available to you.
In addition to MX record access, there are things
like TXT records, your LOC record (location) and
perhaps a type or 2 more (SRV records).

The DNS LOC record is meant to be used to tell other
DNS admins where your box is physically located.
It's not much in use...but I prefer to have as clean
and standard setup as it was meant to be and so I try
to go by the book.

The biggest advantage is that you don't pay extra
for a static IP with an improper reverse lookup.

With DDNS service, you have an incorrect reverse lookup
because you don't have control of the ACS DNS but
at least you aren't paying extra for the privledge.

All this is plenty academic and you may not care
about some of the record types.

My TXT record:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @ns.jsd.k12.ak.us windmere.org TXT
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;windmere.org.                  IN      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
windmere.org.           60      IN      TXT     "example" "txt" "DNS" "record" "
for" "windmere.org"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
windmere.org.           86400   IN      NS      ns4.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86400   IN      NS      ns5.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86400   IN      NS      ns1.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86400   IN      NS      ns2.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86400   IN      NS      ns3.mydyndns.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.mydyndns.org.       18861   IN      A       204.13.249.82

My LOC record:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @ns.jsd.k12.ak.us windmere.org LOC
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;windmere.org.                  IN      LOC

;; ANSWER SECTION:
windmere.org.           43200   IN      LOC     58 21 17.900 N 134 34 34.600 W
6.40m 1m 10000m 10m

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
windmere.org.           86266   IN      NS      ns3.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86266   IN      NS      ns4.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86266   IN      NS      ns5.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86266   IN      NS      ns1.mydyndns.org.
windmere.org.           86266   IN      NS      ns2.mydyndns.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.mydyndns.org.       18727   IN      A       204.13.249.82

mn> East Wind wrote:
>> Hello mike,
>>
>> Saturday, April 1, 2006, 7:01:00 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> mn> I have GCI providing dns for otterway.com and noelalaska.com, So I'll
>> mn> need to get GCI to make the necessary changes. But in my experience that
>> mn> works alot better if I research it and tell them exactly what I want
>> mn> them to do rather than let them guess. I suggest we do this one at a
>> mn> time. Lets get my machine config'd as a backup for you and change you MX
>> mn> records, test that out and when it all works get your sendmail config'd
>> mn> to back me up and I'll have my MX records changed. What's your domain(s)?
>>
>> windmere.org
>> Sounds like a good plan. I need to do some more testing - it's at least a
>> week out for me.
>> Maybe more.
>> Which of your domain names do I list in the MX?
>>
>> Yo Myron - wanna play too?

>> subject header.

mn> The Juneau Linux Users Group -- http://www.juneau-lug.org
mn> This is the Juneau-LUG mailing list.
mn> To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
mn> juneau-lug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the
mn> subject header.

--