[juneau-lug] Re: Local hosting

  • From: "Myron Davis" <myrond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:38:08 -0900

I looked into this heavily, called GCI ACS, everything however every single
time I called I got the run around over and over again never getting
anywhere.  I never could nail either one of them down on a price for
anything.  They always wanted to call me back;  and I never got a call back.
My new box is going, it's got 4 opteron 1.8ghz processors, 4 gigabytes of
ram, terabyte of disk space (750gb usable through a 3ware 9500 raid
controller), on a 100mbit connection in seattle running gentoo-hardened.
I'm still putting it through its paces so I haven't opened it up to the
public just quite yet;  if you don't mind sharing you're welcome to move in
with me...  I'm still keeping my other server in san francisco but that one
is pretty well max'd all of the time.

You wouldn't get root on it the opteron but it is free.

You could always try renting a dedicateed server, I recomend layered-tech,
I've been very happy with them they are just a little farther away though
and I wanted something in seattle.  check out webhostingtalk.com probably
the best place for co-lo's and stuff.