[juneau-lug] Local Windows world still suffering:

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jlug <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 07:14:00 -0800

If you have Windows machines on your net, hopefully you're firewalling them.

Remember when I sent out that little firewall grep script that collects the top
ten destination ports and top ten attackers from my firewall logs?  Back then,
I saw the destination ports fairly evenly split between top & bottom (depending
on the exploit of the day) and almost no GCI cable modem traffic.  How things
change!

The IP addresses are obscured because when I've taken a look at traffic hitting
my modem, it appears that there are a few that are intentionally sharing stuff
like printers.  However the rest are not, and the GCI techs must be having fun
dealing with this stuff.

This firewall is Linux/iptables, which is probably pretty common in this group.
 What are the other solutions on the list?  Anyone with OpenBSD/pf?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue,  2 Sep 2003 06:26:23 -0800 (AKDT)
From: <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx