[juneau-lug] Re: Linux advice for newcomer

  • From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:24:16 -0900

Jamie wrote:

> Kevin, you meant VLC for a media player, not VNC - right?  I tend to
> like mplayer from the command line because of the additional
> information it gives you, like which codecs and formats are used.

Yes, thanks.  Too many TLAs - can't keep them all straight!

> As to commercial DVD's, some recent distribution I tried (Mandriva
> maybe?) contained LinDVD by InterVideo.  This product is similar to
> their popular WinDVD program and comes with the necessary licenses,
> but it may cost(?) and I don't remember how well it worked.

Interesting.  Don't think SUSE is doing that, don't know about Kubuntu.

> Xsane has always done what I needed and very easily.  One missing
> element is OCR (optical character recognition).  I've found nothing
> in the open source world that does this well and have to fall back to
> windows when I need this.

Heritic. :-)

> So if it prints fine from one application, but not another, you can
> rule out the OS and the printer itself.

Yup.  Printing sure has gotten easier in the last few years.  I'm always amazed
at how easy it is to set up and how well it works...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907
The Juneau Linux Users Group -- http://www.juneau-lug.org