[juneau-lug] Re: Linux Games Notes

  • From: Nels Tomlinson <nelstomlinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:09:27 -0800

Well, I got the pixel depths problem fixed.  That wasn't hardware, but
just too few details in the XF86config-4 file that X set up for me.
When I put in the same mode lines for each monitor, they both work the same.

That means that I can't do the test that you suggested.  In fact, I'm
not sure that they were running at different pixel depths: the ugly,
switching colors was happening on both, so I think that X just settled
for the lowest common denominator.

I've opened the Gimp and displayed a picture across both monitors, and
it looks pretty good.

The one remaining problem is that the colors are somewhat different on
the two monitors.  I found out about xgamma, and have been experimenting
with changing gamma, all at once and red, green and blue individually.
So far, I can't make the two look the same.  I wish I could find a gamma
GUI, so I could drag something about through the color space and see
what it looks like.  On the new monitor, the white looks a little dirty,
perhaps slightly tinged with red.  Unfortunately, turning the red down
to almost zero doesn't seem to change that.

Anyway, that's not a huge problem, so I won't panic about it.

Nels