[juneau-lug] Re: Linux Games Notes

  • From: Stephen <sbodnar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:22:35 -0800

>Well, I figured out some of the problems.
>
>First of all, the big problem was that the BIOS settings called for
>giving precedence to the PCI video card.  I haven't a clue why it was
>set that way:  I'd never before had a PCI video card in there.  Once I
>set it to prefer the AGP card, it booted normally.
>
>That still leaves the question of why I couldn't see anything after the
>kernel booted, but I guess that's inconsequential.
>
>So, once I could see what I was doing, I simply followed the directions
>in the Xinerama HOWTO, and got it working.  I have one big desktop
>stretched across the two monitors, and it's pretty good.  I still need
>to get the bells and whistles copied over from the old, Knoppix config
>file; things like the mouse wheel, and the color depth.
>
>I think that the color depth is set at 8 bits or so: applications change
>colors as I mouse over them, just like on an old, tired Xterm.  I think
>all that can wait for tomorrow night, though.  I still have to get up in
>the morning and get to work.
>
>I was a little disappointed in Linux: I had hoped that I could just plug
>in the new hardware, and it would be automatically found and put to
>work.  It wasn't quite that easy.  I had also hoped that Knoppix would
>find the two video cards and configure them for dual head, but again, no
>luck.
>
>Over all, it wasn't hard at all, once I realized that I stupidly had the
>BIOS looking at the wrong card, but I had really hoped it would be
>automatic.  I've never tried doing this on Windows, but while looking
>for HOWTOs, I found a couple of Windows-oriented pages explaining how to
>make it happen there.  I gather it's not totally automatic there, either.
>
>And so to bed.
>
>Nels

A dual-monitor setup in Windows is a pain as well. Your mileage may
vary according to hardware, but also software. The only way I could
get ArcGIS to work correctly on a Windows 2000 Dell workstation
was to install 2 identical video cards and LCD screens (the cards were
DVI). This may be the case with some linux apps as well.

When you get it up, can you try a Gimp session with a window spread
between the two monitors set to different pixel depths? That's the true
torture test...spanning.

Stephen