[juneau-lug] Lending Library

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jlug <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:53:33 -0900

During last night's meeting the subject of O'Reilly books and the lending
library came up.  Nels offered to donate some technical specs on processors to
the library, which started off a discussion of how & why we get new books.

Essentially, we can get new books just by asking.  But they're not free - you
have to work for them.  I don't have time to read and write up a book review
for each one.  Now we have two books that have been "out for review" since last
summer.  Since they haven't come back with a review, I haven't been asking for
new ones from O'Reilly.

So if you see an O'Reilly title that you're interested in and think would be
good for the library, let me know and I'll ask for that title.  On condition
that you write a review.

We could also set up the program where you review a book you like, and then
just keep it.  The lending library page would then change over to a review
page, probably organized by subject, etc.  That might be easier to manage, so
I'm not carrying around a box of books all the time.  (Or more likely, not
carrying the box when someone asks for a book.)

Let me know what you think.  Also, for those "lurkers" out there, you don't
actually have to show up to the meetings to get in on stuff like this.
Everyone should have my e-mail, just send me a note if you want to review a
book, have a question about the web site, want to help out (hint hint) etc.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv