[juneau-lug] Re: January Meeting

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:29:19 -0800

Maybe one day we should get together with the Mac Users group.  I've
heard that some of them are pretty interested in what they can do with
OS X, but don't really have the background for it.  There's a lot that
is installed by default - for example, last summer someone brought in an
OS-X laptop.  We had him open a terminal and type in `httpd` - Apache
started right up.  Many Mac users don't realize that they have all of
these tools sitting on their box, just waiting to be used.

However.  Mac OS-X is not open source software.  The Darwin
underpinnings are to a point, and there is a boatload of GNU & other
free software like Apache installed by default, but OS-X itself (Aqua,
etc.) definitately is not.  So at least in my mind, there's a limit to
how far we should push OS-X.  Helping the Mac guys understand their
tools is a good thing though.  (Who knows, maybe we can convert some of
them from the shady-but-not-quite-as-dark-as-that-other-company side.)
I can show off some Macs that are running Linux just to demonstrate that
the hardware is in fact supported quite well by various completely free
OS.  (And if anyone has a candy colored Mac, I'd like to do an OpenBSD
install from the bootable CD.)

> other ideas for demos that I'm not really qualified to give:

> In depth apache

See above re OS-X.  Even basic Apache would be very very useful for some
people.  Consider the LUG web site.  That is all static HTML, nothing
fancy at all.  Works though.

> Gaming party!

This is something we should schedule one day.  There are a few people
who are much more interested in this than anything we've been talking
about at meetings lately.  I'm old & boring, so I don't game a lot on
Linux aside from the odd Nethack or SameGnome session.  However there
are a LOT of network games out there - BZFlag is good, Sabre is supposed
to be pretty cool, and Xpilot, etc. etc. etc.  Not to mention the old
standby of FreeCiv.

> Security

Stephen & Reber wanted to explore GUI firewalls.  Willing to look into
that?

> Alternative platforms (sparc, ppc, alpha)

For Linux, or for non-free?  I must admit that my interest in non-free
unices like Solaris & AIX is weak (although I do have AIX at home).  I'm
running Linux on a few PowerPC boxes, both Apple and IBM.  I also have
an HP PA-RISC box (a Visualize C-160) up and running.  All with Debian.
I have a couple of Mac 68k boxes that could run Linux or OpenBSD, but
I've never played with them - the IBM PowerPCs distracted me.  And just
today, I found an NCD ExploraPro PowerPC based X terminal at Surplus.

> Wireless
> Video editing on linux

Cool.  I just put together a 2.4.20 kernel tweaked for my DV Camera.  I
found that it is hard to get everything to work just right.  With a
2.4.18 kernel it seems that a PIII 800/256MB RAM doesn't have enough
horsepower for Kino - it kind of works, but it freezes up when I try to
stop & start the DV camera.  I thought it was my camera or the 1394
drivers, but when I use dvcont manually everything works fine.  I
noticed that there were some changes in the 1394 drivers, so maybe it
will help.  (If not, I have a Sandisk SDR-55 SmartMedia reader so needed
2.4.20 anyway.)

> There's more, but I'm kinda fried right now.
>
> Toby

Cool ideas.  I'm running out of things to demo at meetings, so keep the
ideas rolling.  Even if it's something that you don't want to demo but
would like to see at a meeting.  Might be someone else on the mailing
list that just happens to do that all the time.